Local historic newspapers are now at your fingertips through the Mount Pleasant Public Library Digital Archive! The Library is pleased to announce the completion of a digitization project that makes over 12,000 pages of local historic newspapers available to search, view, print and clip with a click of a mouse. Newspapers spanning over forty years from 1956 to 1996 (with a few from the 1930s) can be accessed here: https://mtpleasant.advantage-preservation.com/
“This new archive is a treasure trove of information for those researching local and family history,” says Martha Mesiti, Head of Adult Services at the library and curator of its local history collection. “We had no index to this content earlier, which made the paper-based hunt for information time consuming and limited to library hours. Now that the newspapers are searchable, you can find information quickly. You can also save articles, share them, and still browse through the newspaper.”
The Newspaper Archive includes six local papers.
- Pleasantville Chronicle/The Chronicle (monthly) 1988–1996
- Pleasantville Journal (weekly) 1931–1937 and 1976–1980
- Pleasantville Post/Mt. Pleasant Pleasantville Post (weekly) 1980–1986
- Saw Mill River Record (weekly) 1974–1976
- Valhalla Voice (weekly) 1956–1980