1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting and free way to help your child develop the early literacy skills needed to start kindergarten. Sharing books with children is a wonderful bonding experience and promotes a lifelong love of books and reading. Any child from birth to five years of age can participate.
- Register online here or visit the Children's Desk at the main library.
- Print out a Reading Log on the library's website or pick one up at the library.
- Visit the Library to add a car with your child's name to our town display.
- Track your reading by coloring in a circle for each book read with your child.
- Visit the library every 100 books to move your child's car to the next stop in town and receive a special sticker!
- Every book read counts, including books already read before and books heard in story time, daycare, preschool or read by a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- When you complete 1,000 books you are invited to celebrate and have your child recognized at an annual event for all 1,000 Books participants. Your child will also receive a certificate.
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Mount Pleasant Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!